Monday, November 1, 2010

Where do I belong...Alfie?

I’ve thought a lot lately about finding happiness, and finding meaning to my life. Recently I read on Oprah Winfrey’s website about the philosophy of the 2 types of happiness. Basically, one is hedonist (pleasure-seeking) the other is Golden; finding your personal purpose, which a phlosopher says every person has, of their own, and setting out to achieve it. Like leaving your personal fingerprint, that made the world a better place for at least one person,and for as many as possible.

The ability to achieve this happens in a lot of different ways. There are people who find something they love to do, and are fortunate enough to also get paid for it, and for some, to be so successful at it they become magnificintely wealthy. Some of these people also find purpose, and use their wealth to make the world a better place for many people. (Look into Jeff Gordon’s Children’s Hospital). Some people have training/education to be able to work in a field where their job gives that fulfillment (these jobs typically don’t pay well, but usually the people getting the most out of what they don’t care as much, though it would be nice if society recognized their contribution). Then, there’s this amazing tiny group who doesn’t get paid for anything, doesn’t have a professional education, and spends their entire life working to make the world a better place, that’s like Mother Teresa, and she left a gigantic handprint on the world.

Lately since I was laid off from work, then injured in a severe accident,being out of work has really depressed me. I enjoyed being a nurse. It was fulfilling. Once in a while I felt like I made a difference in someone’s life.

So what I figured out is, I’m in the second group. I’m fortunate enough to have a useful skill (being an RN) and while nobody is willing to hire me right now, it leaves me the opportunity to look for a place that could use any of my skills for free, in other words, volunteer. A wise friend mentioned it to me this weekend, and I have been thinking about it. Just because I don’t get paid for it, doesn’t mean what I do doesn’t have meaning. I’ve already dispelled that myth.

So, I think the answer for me, is to find out where I could be of use.

No comments:

Post a Comment